What keeps you awake at night? A recent MYOB Snapshot found small business owners sacrificing their health for work, with 80% of small business owners losing sleep at night.
The research found:
- 41% of small business owners said they put their health last because they are time poor and focused on the success of their business.
- 91% of small business owners admitted stress from their business impacts other areas of their lives.
- 1 in 4 respondents said they exercise sporadically, if at all.
- 83% of small business owners said they sacrifice hobbies, exercise or spending time with their family to stay on top of their work.
We all know starting and growing a business is hard. It takes time, it’s stressful, and requires sacrifices. But without a healthy mind and body, our productivity, business growth and satisfaction with our life decreases. Let’s start 2019 the way we mean to continue – living a balanced, successful, productive life, growing our businesses while maintaining and expanding our health and wellbeing.
Here’s some tips from those in the know:
- Start your day as a human first, hustler second: Wake early, for a walk, meditation or breathing exercises. Shower, eat before checking your phone.
- Connect with a friend or family member once a day for a non work related chat
- Get more sleep by adjusting your nighttime routine: Use an old fashioned alarm clock instead of your phone, or set your phone to do not disturb. Sleep is critical for wellbeing and efficiency and focus.
- Prep meals on the weekend or outsource using healthy options where you can – cook extra and eat for lunches.
- Eat lunch away from your computer. Sit in the sun, or in the shade, read something interesting, turn your phone off for half an hour.
- Switch off your phone and computer at least an hour before going to sleep.
- Diarise exercise, health and wellbeing slots weeks in advance and treat them as critical meetings – because they are. They are a meeting with your best self, to support you in your Best Year Yet!
- Outsource what you can where it makes business sense to do so – bookkeeping, accounting software can save you time, stress and free you up to have more hours in your day for your business and/or your health and wellbeing.
We wish you a prosperous and healthy 2019! If we can help, reach out!